Or rather just the strawberries! It’s Wimbledon week and strawberries and cream are traditional fare. Here are some Wimbledon Strawberry and Cream facts:
- Served in punnets of not less than 10 berries + cream.
- 8615 punnets consumed per day.
- 28,000kg consumed over the tournament served with over 7000 litres of fresh cream.
- Usually Grade 1 English strawberries of the highest quality from the county of Kent.
- From LEAF-registered farms (LEAF is a charity promoting Integrated Farm Management balancing organic with chemical practices).
- To ensure the utmost freshness, strawberries are picked the day before being served, arrive at Wimbledon at around 5.30am where they are inspected before being hulled.
I’m so glad I don’t have to hull that many strawbs!
Instead of hulling them I’ve been busy making some.
These are the first four I made, I just couldn’t decide which leaves looked the best – what do you think?
After consultation with a friend I went with option d (the one on the far right but with a green velvet ribbon)
Three different sizes but the middle size was the cutest!
If you feel inspired to have a go then there’s a free pattern here at Heart Handmade UK.
Anyone for tennis?
Until next time,