Battling with a Banner

A couple of weeks ago I shared that I’d been asked to make some worship banners for my church and was starting to choose designs and make mini versions of them. This week I’ve moved on a step and actually started making one 🙂 so I thought I’d show you how  I went about it – WARNING! I don’t find it particularly easy coping with massive amounts of fabric (except in an admiring, stroking kind of way that is 😉 ) If you have any hints and tips on how to make it easier then please share 🙂

First of all I found a design I thought would be appropriate in a design book and drew it to scale for the size I wanted, this is where the design tends to get altered too so it fits in with where its going to hang in my church.

SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA

I find this helpful because I can just measure the little diagram and scale it up so I know what everything should measure on the big version. I then work out how much fabric I need and go buy it ( such a chore!)

These colours haven't come out right but they are from the Makower Spraytime range
These colours haven’t come out right but they are from the Makower Spraytime range

I then take the main base fabric and cut it to size, ironing in the edges so I have a piece of fabric the correct size of the banner which I then spread over a large bit of floor. This is what I spent ALL DAY yesterday doing! I then make a real size pattern. I used some fabric I was given which is similar to the stuff you make roller blinds with so it’s stiff, in the past I’ve used sheets of paper taped together. I used my scale diagram to get the measurements for my pattern and drew it on to the pattern fabric (hope this is making sense). I mark on the pattern colours of pieces and right way up and where I need to remember seam allowances.

The grey fabric is the pattern and you can see that I've cut it into individual pattern pieces.
The grey fabric is the pattern and you can see that I’ve cut it into individual pattern pieces.

I think it was about this time that I needed a rest from crawling all over the floor and started to find a nice font and lettering size for the wording on the banner.

Next step was to cut out the actual fabric, which was very carefully done as I didn’t have much spare fabric. That done I laid out the pieces, pinned and then sewed them in place (so quick to type those words but boy did it take lots of time!)

The banner so far...still lots to do.
The banner so far…still lots to do.

I also decided on the lettering and have started to get that ready too.

Three Alleluias in different shades of green
Three Alleluias in different shades of green

I don’t think I’ll have time to do any more today as it’s ‘Chair Day’ and I need to spend the morning doing my homework before my class this afternoon (whoops!)

Until next time,

Chris x

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Battling with a Banner

  1. Hi Chris…your banner’s looking wonderful….the Church will surely appreciate it…love the colours!
    thanks for leaving a comment on my blog too….the sheep do look scared don’t they??? Love the comedic element in this SAL….BTW had to come here to reply as you came up as a no-reply blogger??? don’t know why?
    thanks again for visiting and hope to ‘chat’ again soon!
    xox sugary hugs
    Wendy :O)

    1. Thank you I’m enjoying making it (apart from my poor knees that is, which are a bit sore from crawling around so much!). I think the no reply blogger is something to do with wordpress but I shall investigate.
      Chris x

Thank you for your comment :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s